Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2005 6.0 ranch electrical issue. Help! Going to try and

Customer Question

2005 6.0 king ranch electrical issue.
Help! Going to try and explain this the best I can.
For about 30,000 miles I have been having an issue with the water in fuel message coupled with the fuel guage working intermittently. Figured it was a sender and just lived with it.
Every now and again the needles in the guage cluster would sort of quiver at the lowest reading. I would turn the truck off and remove key but they would continue to sort of quiver until I opened the door. I would restart the truck and usually me be fine and not happen again for a while.
Recently however the radio has begun to have power to it then go away then come back never staying off more than a fe seconds. It is now getting worse and is coupled with the truck shutting off.
Kicker is that when I was on the highway and this happened the tranny sort of thumped and would shift very hard. I got off the highway and coasted to a stop. Turned the truck off and restarted and all is fine. Until the radio starts its cycling again and the truck dies again.
Tranny did the thump again and seemed like the tranny was not shutting in the OD and converter not locked up.
I pulled over shut the truck off and restarted. Took three attempt to get it started and then it was fine for about 5 miles home. Now it is just killing the motor like the key was turned off. Restart and go again. Ughhhhhh all the while the radio cycling through power in and power off. Now for the*****home it's acting as though nothing is wrong.... Ughhhhh I know better, HELP!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

When this happens do you lose pretty much all electrical inside the vehicle, blower motor, headlights, power windows?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Funny thing, no. I have read that usually it is tied to that. Only thing is the door keypad will not unlock the doors with the code. However the two button lock feature pressin the 7/9 buttons works.Truck has new batteries and key on engine running voltage is 12.7-12.9Was thinking alternator or voltage Reg. But I don't think that's it.
Fired it up this morning and took my son to school about 3 miles round trip and it was fine.Going to check the ground strap this morning behind drivers kick panel to verify is solid. Checked the firewall ground and the fender ground already. Just for good measure I'm going to clean both battery terminals thoroughly as well to eliminate that area.Driving me nuts! The tranny thing spooked me yesterday as it's never done that before and has not repeated again as of yet but I have not been on the highway again.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Check battery cable connections specifically the drivers side. It has a power feed coming off it that runs the interior electrical. See if it is corroded or loose.