EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2000 ford excursion with the check engine light on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2000 ford excursion with the check engine light on and the O D light blinking?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Before they came on the radio went to mute when in gear so I replaced the natural safety switch
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Can you get the code checked that is in the computer? And is this a gas or diesel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric, I went to autozone to get the code but it came up blank. It has the 6.8L v10 gas in it.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

If your check engine light is on there has to be a code set. WIthout checking your codes, you can check your transmission fluid level. You could check all your fuses make sure none are blown. That is about all that can make the o/d light flash, except for something internal to the transmission.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Do you have any more questions on your vehicle? If so please let me know and also rate my service and have a great day. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric, since I cannot get the codes from autozone I will have to take this to a shop to have it fixed. So this has not been much help to me. Sorry
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You can get your own scanner. You could try to disconnect the battery and touch the cables together to drain all the voltage from the vehicle. Then hook the battery back up and see if that turns the o/d light off. But if there is an actual problem it will be back on.