Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

V10 ford loads up and air cleaner has oil residue after 4-5k

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What is the year make model of it please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
05 v10 ford w/ 12k miles

I see, thanks.

.

Are there any trouble codes stored?

Does the vehicle seem to have any running problems?

.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Changed oily air cleaner, replaced Pcv drove 6k and it loaded at about 6k miles and wouldn't shift into od barely made it home. Replace air cleaner. Now it runs fine again. Could check codes in am tomorrow, currently under snow bank

Winter weather has been a little rough this year, I know. See if you can get any codes out of it and if possible, see if there is a good amount of suction on the breather end of the PCV system, (at idle). We see some trouble out of the electrically heated PCV valves when the temps are very low, (they sometimes freeze or don't heat up fast enough). With the engine at idle the breather hose should be able to hold a small box top, (like from an oil filter) just to be sure it's working good. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No codes, recent 6k trip in October w/ temps in 50-80 range

I see, thanks.

Does it have the electrically heated PCV valve or water heated?

Also, is there a fairly good amount of suction at the breather hose?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Electric heater and suction appears good...

I see, thanks. I haven't run into any that would do that, (yet) and if the PCV valve is new and has good suction, there shouldn't be that much blowby to allow oil into the air filter.

I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. The tech which was helping has opted out.
  2. Is this an RV?
  3. When you say oil residue on the oil filter, is the filter pretty saturated in oil?
  4. Is the oil level correct?
  5. While running if you remove the oil fill cap, is there a little or alot of air blowing out of it?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I I changed a soiled air cleaner at 6k miles on v10 and assumed Pcv valve issue so installed new on. Travelled 6+k miles on trip out west in motor home. No oil consumption, ran and started great until last 500miles. Started running ruff and wouldn't shift up into od. Parked and removed slightly oil residue air cleaner and it runs fine. Yellow lite on dash indicating problem when having problem but no codes recorded.vechilce 10 years old and a total of 12500 miles
  1. While running if you remove the oil fill cap, is there a little or alot of air blowing out of it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Changed oil after 6k didn't use a drop,filler cap fine. I intend to take for service and inspection and appreciate your help. Have we zeroed in on intake, Pcv, vacuum,and thank you for your help. Wouldn't load on bad gas and wouldn't clear when air cleaner replaced.

Thanks for doing all these inspections and tests for me. Based on them it looks like the fact the vehicle is setting up so often the piston rings and cylinder walls may be damaged causing excessive crank case pressure from blow by. I suggest a compression test be ran on all cylinders at this time. Can you let me know those results.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris