Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

How can you change a ignition cylinder without the key lost

Customer Question

how can you change a ignition cylinder without the key lost the key 1993 ford explorer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: lost the keys replacing ignition cylinder to have keys to start it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, as you know, the key is required to turn the tumbler to On/Run so without key? yes there is Ford procedure, It works but takes a little time and effort, In the shop on some? we insert a large flatblade screwdriver into key slot and do a force break by grabbing handle with large pliers, turinng tumbler by force till in RUN then depress the button to remove, One does need to be a little careful and not overdo it, I dont recommend unless you feel comfortable, it does work but the correct way is shown in this link