Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I can't get my 1999 F250 superduty e-brake to hold tight. I

Customer Question

Hi, I can't get my 1999 F250 superduty e-brake to hold tight. I have a manual v10 and pull heavy equipment regularly and can't park on any slopes. This is super dangerous. My mechanic has inspected and adjusted from pedal to pads 5 times. Ive snapped the cable in the pedal cam mechanism 3 times. My farmer/mechanic bypassed the the pedal cam mechanism. I dont snap cables now, but I cant get the brake to hold tight w extreme foot pressure. Pads and drum are good. I've seen blogs that describe the same problemsn but no solutions. Is this a product defect and is there an upgrade replacement? Thx, Bob
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob

Unfortunately this is a design flaw of the brake system on this truck, the park brake system and shoes are so small that if there is any load other than the weight of the truck, they will not hold. I have had to install what is known as a LineLoc on customers trucks, this is a solenoid that is installed in the brake system and is activated when parked to use the 4 wheel brakes to hold the truck and load. hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help or info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ray, that makes sense. The brake would work on the truck alone but not with a load. I will research the LineLoc and see if my mechanic can install it. Have a great day! Bob
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

you are very welcome, thanks for using JustAnswer.