Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 L runs rough mion when warmed up:

Customer Question

2003 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 L runs rough for 5 mion when warmed up:
Rough running and sputters at 3rpm. Started months ago doing once only every 6 weeks, then 4 weeks, then 2 and now happens once a week and getting worse. Runs file at startup and always occurs after 10 minutes driving and usaully clears up and runs fine after 5-10 min of running/coughing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

I would start with basic tune up parts such as plugs/wires and coil. the coil is a common failure on the 4.0.

have you done anything else to the truck??

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are u serious with all due respect. A tuneup? It runs fine for 10 minutes then it runs bad sometimes rarely and it only last 10 minutes then it runs fine again honey does this once in every 6 weeks now then it went to 4 weeks and 2 now one week I don't believe a tune up is the key when its running fine most of the time
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

I always start with basics as should you. I am here and not there.

good luck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks. I will attempt to explain w/o so many spelling errors again.
2003 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 L runs rough/cough/spurts at 3rpm after driving for 10 minutes and clears itself 5-10 minutes later. Only does spiratically. Started months ago only happening every 6-8 weeks. then more often as time past, every 4 weeks, every 2 weeks and NOW once every week for 3 weeks until yesterday when I could not clear it out after 20 minutes running. I droppd it off at my local shop and there is no engine light on and no code to diagnose. I await my mechanics opinion who wil replace the "cran sensor" I think he said as a first try and a cheap fix. Friends have suggested the Cat.converter may be clogging. I have read online many possibilities but no one except your first expert said to start with a tuneup and I almost laughed since I did not need pay for that answer (with all due respect of course) as the truck runs great when not sputtering and losing power exactly at 3rpm which it quickly tachs too going on an upgrade. Sincerely ***** ***** for for a ford ranger 4.0 L expert who has run int this exact situation and help me avoid MANY hit and miss costly repairs. Thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank-You but no thanks. I am disappointed with this process especially the request to pay more money.