George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

The backup lighst on the 2006 mercury mariner we just

Customer Question

Hi - the backup lighst on the 2006 mercury mariner we just purchased do not come on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: great thank you
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. we don't have anyone near
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: or can afford right now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: the dome light and door ajar lights were flickering on and off for awhile. it seems to be ok right now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is there any evidence this car has been rebuilt or in a flood?

Are you able to remove the lamps and check for power to the lamp socket?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We checked the lamps. No power to the lamp sockets. It doesn't appear to have been in a flood. We were wonder if the reverse light switch needed to be replaced.

Sorry I was offline for the night when you replied

The way this circuit works is the lever moves the switch which tells the engine computer that you are in reverse. The computer puts that information out on the communication buss and the smart junction block closes a relay which sends power to the lights.

You can check fuse #29 in the smart junction block to see that it does have power with the key in the run or start position. If it does then the fault could be in the switch, or the smart junction block. If you have power at the fuse then a scantool capable of reading the switch state would be necessary to check the rest of the communication.

Please let me know what you find and how I can help

Thank you