Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

I need advice on my 1997 ford explorer. Lately when driving

Customer Question

Hi there i need advice on my 1997 ford explorer. Lately when driving slowly in a parking lot its been dying.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when this happens does it start back up ok? is check engin elight coming on? have you done or tried anything to fix the problem?

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it starts right back up, the engine light is on due to the fact the catalytic converter needs to be replaced, do you think this is also causing this?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

engine size? and still need to know if you have done anything to try and fix, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a v-6 and i havent tried anything as of yet.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** all I can, Bear with me a few minutes +/- , back as soon as I can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will try and explain, I feel you have deposits /gum buildup on the buttery and bore of the throttle body, VERY common problem, When this happens, the computer has a hard time controlling the iAC ( idle air control motor) Actually in 2000 there was a recal to help protect this on most explorers, so, since likley expired? the fix? get a can of carb cleaner from parts store. Put the straw on the tip, Remove the rubber air intake hose from the throttle body, Gently spray some cleaner in and around the bore and butterfly, Not too much , then slip hose on, start it rev it blow out the cleaner, Do this cleaning procedure like 4 more times till all is nice and shiny inside, then tak on road, blow it out and all should be fixed. Cat converter? yes could? cause this but rare and doubt it, I put a link on this post showing the bore of the the throttle body after the hose is off, this is what you are cleaning,

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you:)i will try this out hopefully itll fix the beast as i love this car....
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

pretty confident, say 98%, very common problem, sure anything could be the issue but, by description and so on and what we see most ofen? this simple fix should take care of it

Please leave feedback for my service, provided, Any followups after feddaback? come back to this same post at no add;l fee, I am here to help and do followups all the time and Thanks