Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2008 f250 4wd not switching over until back on solid ground.

Customer Question

2008 f250 4wd not switching over until back on solid ground. Is it because I'm trying to engage it while already slipping?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just that the back will start slipping and I'll switch it over to 4wd and it will not engage. But after I get pulled out and start going on solid ground again I can feel it engage. It does take about 15 seconds to get out of 4wd after it does finally engage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** this is because the rear wheels are slipping, what you need to do in this instance, is put the transmission in neutral before switching it to 4wd, and wait for the transfer case to engage, have you tried this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have. I don't know if I just didn't wait long enough for it to change over, but the dash shows it in 4 high or 4 low but its as if it just doesn't lock in the wheels.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
  1. ok, that is different then, if the transfer case goes into 4hi, but the wheels dont spin, this is a problem with the vacuum hubs in the front wheels, have you checked the vacuum at each wheel when you switch it to 4hi, it should lose vacuum to engage the hubs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the funny thing is, after I get pulled out and its still showing Im in 4hi, it finally kicks in. then it takes about 20-30 seconds to go back into 2wd
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, this is most likely the switch for the hubs, follow the vacuum line from one of the front wheels, it will go to this switch on the drivers side fender well, under the hood, we need to see the vacuum with the egine running, going into the switch, and then check the vacuum coming out to the front wheels, with the engine running, and its in 2wd, there should be no vacuum going to the wheels, and then switch to 4wd and see how long it takes for vacuum to come out to the hweels, can you check this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to go check it right quick, one second.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the lights aren't showing up on the dash. Im assuming a fuse is out now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
aslo, my tow haul light wont come on, they are powered by the same fuse correct?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

yes.can you check the F11 fuse and the F35 fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What amp are those, Ive got a few extra laying around so Ill just replace them.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

they are both 10 amps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

PThanks,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim