Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Triton head drive side over heated....what are the possible

Customer Question

Triton head drive side over heated....what are the possible issues???
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Head gasket, or head is cracked...blew water out of the exhaust....what happens with these heads???
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried a sealent and it seem to work but still get a loud knocking of the driver side
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: ok
JA: What else should I tell the Ford Mechanic?
Customer: ??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The head was over heating some time a go....I thought the sensor was bad but obviously not because the head had cracked or the head gasket has blown...just need to know more about possible issue and best resources for fixing this head....have the Haynes manual but not always confident this is the best resource to tackle this problem
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Good morning,

It sounds like you have an internal failure, possibly a cracked head or head gasket, but not normally accompanied by a knocking noise. What year, model, and engine size do you have? All that came through was "Ford".

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2003 ford.....the knocking occurs when I hit the gas...at idle it does not sound.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I work swings on the West coast....12 hours shifts...I will check your response when I can...5.4 Triton motor....not sure if this is 2 valve or 3 valve,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any ideas???
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry, this one has me a little stumped. I pulled a unit into the shop today with the exact same engine and one of my technicians and I looked for anything on the driver's side that could be making a noise other than a valve train noise.

I guess I'm not really clear about what yours is doing.

If there is a valve train problem you will almost always get a check engine light. I have a 2012 5.4l in the shop right now that has a serious clunk coming from the passenger valve cover and it has an accompanying lean code on that bank.

When you say that water/coolant came out, where did it come from?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Exhaust....I will be more specific tomorrow...thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Is it possible that the fluid you are seeing in the exhaust is just condensation? A coolant leak in the exhaust would indicate a major engine failure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I appreciate your responses....been tied down a work...I want to give u more information.....is there an easy way to crack the exhaust to see what head is blowing water by it????by the way, I have put in many inserts for the spark plugs being blown out of the heads...so is there an after market head for this??? Or is it pick and pull???? Thanks again for your timely reaponses
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

There are some very expensive afermarket "racing heads" out there that tend to clear up the blown out plug problem and also offer some performance gains. I don't have much personal experience with them, but I'm pretty sure I have seen them recently on summitracing.com or jegs.com.

You could pull the bolts on either of the exhaust manifolds and pull them away from the head and then run the engine to see if you are getting coolant in the exhaust, but again, this is rare on that engine.