roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2008 F250 5.4L runs rough. P0345, clear, P0349 clear and now

Customer Question

2008 F250 5.4L runs rough. P0345, clear, P0349 clear and now P0344 constant will not clear.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Before engine light. good oil pressure. instant gauge at 0; then good oil pressure for a three time sequence. Now engine runs rough with what sounds life lifter noise
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. Unless special test equipment is required
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done is start truck and read codes and clear codes. All with good oil pressure
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: 140,000 miles. was driving 75 speed limit when oil pressure was good,0, good. No prior engine problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, stop clearing the codes, it does nothing for the problem. there is freeze frame data stored when a code sets and that info can be valuable when trying to determine the failure

the engine noise, is it all the time or just when the gauge goes to 0??

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

the 344,345,349 codes are related to cam sensor readings. this could all be related to your oil pressure issue. if you do loose oil pressure as you indicated, the tensioners for the timing chains need oil pressure to keep them tight with no slack. without proper oil pressure, the chains will slack and the timing will not be correct. that is a good reason to set the code.

what is needed is to have a manual pressure test performed to verify the oil pressure. if it is low it could be a partially clogged pick up screen from dirt or debris or a bad oil pump. I would start here. you could try to flush your oil system. get some sea foam, add it to your oil, let it run for about an hour and the change the oil and filter and see if it still happens.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out