Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2003 ford focus 2.0 sohc will run minute then almost die as

Customer Question

2003 ford focus 2.0 sohc will run for a minute then almost die as though it runs out of gas.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: First noticed this on a hill, the car lost power and would not pull the hill. After sitting overnight I got it home, but in the driveway it will run normally then start losing rpm's and almost die, sometime it will die. It will start back up then start losing power again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuel filter is all
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: It has 234,000 miles, just installed a new timing belt. The old belt had not jumped, just did it as a preventative measure.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

From your description it sounds like the engine us running out of fuel, these vehicles were known for fuel pumps that would fail and cause this concern, to verify you need a fuel pressure tester to see if the fuel is going low and causing the stall, if it is, replace the fuel pump and recheck.