Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Here bottom bolt on Mr mercury mountaineer won't come out

Customer Question

Gary here bottom bolt on Mr mercury mountaineer won't come out
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Exactly what bolt are you trying to remove as you dont mention it

Also, engine size and 2wd or 4wd?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you to provide precise detail - thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bottom right front strut bolt awd bolt is loose but will not slide out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V8 engine
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, place a floor jack underneath the lower control arm and jack up on the control arm some to relieve pressure on the bolt. Then use a punch and hammer to drive it out.

If you have already removed the 3 upper mounting nuts from the strut, reinstall them as well as this also will help in relieving pressure on the bolt where it goes thru the lower control arm

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done all that can turn bolt but it just goes back where it was or moves a little bit I cut strut out there is no pressure on anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also nut is off of bolt everything feels loose bolt will not slide out
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, there is a metal bushing inside a rubber bushing in the lower strut where the bolt goes thru it. It sounds like 2 things have happened, the bolt is rusted to the metal bushing and the rubber part that encases that metal bushing has torn away from the inside the strut.

Ok, 2 options at this point - move enough out of the way and use a reciprocating saw to cut the bolt off on either side of the strut inside the control arm, or remove the lower control arm with the strut still attached to it and press the bolt out

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanksaq

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?