Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

My name is ***** ***** and yesterday my 2001 Windstar lost

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** and yesterday my 2001 Windstar lost all electrical (turn signals, automatic windows, vent blower, stereo.) It was also very sluggish on acceleration, especially after idling at a red light for a few minutes. When I got home, I turned it off and tried to start it again but it only made a repeating clicking sound. I checked the fuses and they all look good. Wondering where to go from here. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The battery is a year old and the terminals are clean and tight. That's about all I can think of.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

This concern sounds like the alternator quit charging while driving home. this is why the lights and electrical shut down and ran sluggish. I would charge the battery, test the voltage across the battery while running, it should be 13.2-14.4 volts, if les than this the charging system has failed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I test the voltage of the battery while running if the car won't start?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I test the voltage across the battery while running if the car won't start?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

The battery needs to be charged with a battery charger.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Then when running again the voltage can be tested across the battery for the proper range.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

We are not employees of this site, so when you are satified with your question, please take the time to rate my service, as this is how we are paid. If you need anything further just ask, thanks Scott