roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 1987 F350 6.9 diesel engine. I have replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 1987 F350 6.9 diesel engine. I have replaced the glow plug control module (the whole assembly) and all I get is a click, click, click and the red light on the dash (wait to start light) will not stay on but blink on and off. Glow plugs are new but they are not heating up. Any suggestions on what to look for.?? Thanks for the help.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced all eight glow plugs with new autolite plugs. I have also replaced the solenoid relay module. The first trouble started on Jan 2. We found the relay module to be bad so it was replaced. On Feb 5 the truck would not start again and we found the post at the end of the resistor had burned so I replaced the whole assembly again. All I get now is the clicking noise I described earlier. I can plug the truck in and allow to warm up the water and it cranks right up.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I think I have given all info. I do know the batteries are at full power.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

charge the batteries to full power first. low voltage causes all kinds of issues.

anyway, the glow plugs. after you replaced the glow plugs, did you replace the controller or before you replaced all the glow plugs. the bad or shorted glow plugs are the reason for the glow plug controller failure

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out