roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

How come just on ford Taurus when you start the engine cold

Customer Question

How come just on ford Taurus when you start the engine cold the engine revs to 2500 rpm and then after about 15 seconds it drops to about 1100 rpm. The ford Taurus has been one of fords most popular cars and there are so many Taurus with this problem and nobody can give me a answer. I check for vaccum leaks cleaned throttle plate cleaned the two holes in the in the icu. I only have a debit card.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

on top of the motor is a idle control motor. it has 2 wires to it. when cold the solenoid is held open by the pcm to raise the idle. over the years, it get carboned up inside and sticks. it cannot be cleaned the way it should and would need to be replaced.

start off by removing the wires with the engine running. the idle should drop to 500 rpm. lets start there

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I pulled the wire off and the idle slowed down put the wire back on and i don't know if it had anything to with it but the check engine light was on i took the idle control motor off and shot throttle body cleaner in the to ports under the idle control motor i checked for vaccum leaks cleaned throttle plate need help before engine blow up
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

the check engine light came on because you pulled off the wires. thats ok

I suggest replacing the idle control motor as it cannot be cleaned in the area that is sludged up.

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts