Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2005 f250 super duty with a v10 6.8L, recently

Customer Question

I have a 2005 f250 super duty with a v10 6.8L, recently during bumper to bumper traffic the truck began stalling then completly lost power. I was able to safely pull to the shoulder, after waiting for about 15 mins the truck started and ran good. when I got home I checked the engine light code which came up as 2195, 0191 and 0174.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the truck began to sputter somewhat like misfiring, then lost power as if it was out of fuel. It seems this problem occurs when in heavy bumper to bumper traffic for long periods of time, when traffic flow is good it doesn't do this.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The codes P2195 and P0174 are lean codes and the code P0191 is a fuel pressure code. The common cause for these code to set in most cases is caused by a failing fuel pump. When the fuel pump begins to fail it will over heat and when this happens the fuel pressure will drop and the engine stalls. In most cases once the pump has had a chance to cool off it will usually build pressure and start and run again. You can verify this by monitoring the fuel pressure on your scan tool . Normal pressure needs to be right at 35 to 45 PSI, anything less then 35 means the pump is failing providing you fuel filter is clear. Let start with checking the fuel pressure as I suspect you have a failing pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the fuel pressure? what tools are needed for this?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

On your 2005 you will need a scan tool that can read the data stream, it will read the pressure off of the fuel pressure sensor.