Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My name is ***** ***** Andi just bought a 1990 ford bronco

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** Andi just bought a 1990 ford bronco as a project truck and I'm having trouble getting it started.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, everytime I turn the ignition I hear three clicks and the check engine light comes on. When I first got it it didn't even do that but I put in a new starter, changed some fuses, and re crimped some wires.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

Well, that's why they call these things "projects", don't they? ;-)

What kind of bronco are we working on, full size or II? What size engine? Auto or stick? 2 or 4WD?

Does the new starter cranks the engine around when you turn the key to START? If it does, but the engine still won't start, then we need to find what is causing the engine not to start; is it lack of compression, spark, fuel pressure or injector pulse? Once we find which of those is missing, we can then focus on diagnosing the corresponding system and pinpointing the problem. Sounds good?

We should start by trying to start the engine with starting fluid; if it starts and runs momentarily, then we'll know compression and spark are good. If that's the case, then we'll need to test fuel pressure and injector pulse - we're looking for 35-45 psi fuel pressure and a steady flash from a Noid light for injector pulse.

Please run those tests and get back to me with the results so we can continue.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll run the tests in the morning but I'll give you the vehicle info now. Its a full size with a 351w 5.8 L. Its automatic( from what the previous owner said he switched it from manual to the c6) and it has 4wd.

Thanks for that information. I'll be back online tomorrow after lunch Atlantic Standard Time - I'm in the Caribbean

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds good!

I'm online and looking forward to getting those test results.

Best Regards.