Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

I have s 2011 F250 with a 6.7 and i am having a problem with

Customer Question

Hi. I have s 2011 F250 with a 6.7 and i am having a problem with the trans. All the gears work fine except for overdrive, even after the truck has been running a while and the trans is nice and warm. Not sure if this is computer related or mechanical. Im leaning more towards computer related since all of the other gears are working fine no slippage at all. I would like some advice on it. Should i take the tranny fluid pan off and look for metal? should i take it to a transmission shop and pay the fee to have to read the computer?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Is there a check engine light on or wrench light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No there is no indicator lights on and they do all work. So i know there is no burnt out bulb.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

When it shifts to 6th, does it go to neutral? What exactly are you experiencing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the dash says Im in 6th and it shifts but But Im turning just over 2000 RPS is the normal or high?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Usually depending on the rear axle ratio and tire sizes, these vehicles will turn anywhere from 1800-2200 rpm in 6th. If there are no lights on, I can only suspect the computer is not seeing any gear ratio concerns. If the transmission is slipping or missing shifts, the wrench symbol would come on in the dash. It sounds like normal rpm range to me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your business!

Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.

Please when you are finished, if you could take the time to rate my service, as this is how we are compensated, we are not employees of this site, thank you Scott W