Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

What direction do I turn the crank shaft pully bold to

Customer Question

what direction do I turn the crank shaft pully bold to remove . its 2003 2.0 dohc
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: changing timing belt and can not get the bolt loose that holds the crank pully on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I have it mostly apart but just can not get the bolt loose for the crank pully. it is a right handed bolt isn't it?
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have a socket and a cheater pipe and it just does not want to come loose
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no. i just need to make sure it is a right handed thread
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The crankshaft bolt on your 2.0 turns counter clockwise to loosen and remove (right hand) . Its usually helpful if you have access to a impact wrench. One trick you can try is place you socket on the bolt and lay your cheater against the sub frame and so it can not move and hit the starter and it should break loose. Just dont be standing in front of it and make sure it laying on the sub frame an it will come loose .