Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

I have a 1999 f150 with a 4r70w tranny. I had a tranny

Customer Question

I have a 1999 f150 with a 4r70w tranny. I had a tranny cooler line break completely. It was driven till it wouldn't go anymore as it ran out of fluid. I fixed the cooler line and now the tranny has been flaring up on downshifts. When coasting along around 55mph then applying light throttle the rpms go up then drop 300-400 rpm as in starts pulling again. Also when downshifts to third or second I've noticed a flare up then it slam into gear. Now intermittently when taking of from a stop it'll flare up(###) ###-####pm then slam into gear. What do you think might have be the problem? I rebuilt the tranny a year ago and has worked fine till this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you burnt up the seals and now you are not getting good pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what seals would you think went? clutch piston seals? accumulator seals?

It sounds more like clutch seals.

Have you used pressure gauge to check the pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not
What pressures ranges should I get if normal?

Look at this information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok if the epc pressures check out. what's the epc solenoid test they talk about?

Did you get a chance to check the pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not had time work and other engagements have gotten in the way. I've got a gauge on order. Should have it on Monday and will check the pressure then.

Ok, keep informed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got to checking the pressures. At idle in reverse and drive I have right around 0-2. At WOT in reverse it occilates between 70-80. In all the other ranges it occilates between 65-75. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added the pressures. see above let me know what you think then I'll rate the service.