rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Stater won't crank...
, Got plenty of juice, yet the

Customer Question

Stater won't crank...
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Got plenty of juice, yet the starter clicks without cranking...
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: wiggling wire connections, tapping lightly on the stater, not sure which relay to check...
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: don't think so...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

If you're certain that there is plenty of power and the cables are good, then that starter is either bad or the bendix gear is to close to the flywheel and needs to be shimmed out. I'm assuming the solenoid is good too.

Thanks, Ron