Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Ford F250 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4: I have a 1999 super duty 7.3

Customer Question

I have a 1999 super duty 7.3 that keeps blowing the 30 amp fuse under the dash
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperDave replied 9 months ago.
Is the fuse for the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes I was told the bottom right is for the fuel pump but do not have a cover on fuse panel to make sure

what fuse number is ***** in the diagram?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
30
#30 is for fuel filter and waste gate,so I would check those connectors to them.you have a short in the circuit.
Here is a fuse diagram
While looking at the wiring diagram fuse #30 also sends power to the pcm power relay and from there to the IDM relay.Could be 1 of those relays causing a short.
Those relays are under the hood on driver side fuse box.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will go check them now

ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Still not able to get power to fuel pump replaced all relays and still blowing the fuse #30 under the dash> I can put a hot wire into the 87 on the first relay under the hood and get power to pump that way! I have traced wires and can not see a bare wire on anything

Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is fuse 30 blown again? Go under the hood and unplug the wore going to the fuel filter housing. Replace fuse 30 and truck should start. The reason the fuse is popping and you have no power to fuel pump is because the heater element in the fuel filter housing is bad. It's shorting out causing the fuel pump circuit to not close and allow fuel flow so the heating element doesn't burn the truck down. Common problem on these trucks. The element os easy to change. Just leave it unplugged for now until you get a new one. It os held in with 2 screws. Remove the screws, loft it up and unplug it. Plug new one in, rest it in the housing, put screws in, fill with fuel, put filter back in and you are good to go.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.Did you still need assistance with this?