Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My car caught fire and is now dumping fuel on the rear/right

Customer Question

my car caught fire and is now dumping fuel on the rear/right bank any ideas what is causing this to happen ideas what to look at we have replaceda few parts already
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what your working on, year, make and Model as we as engine size?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2001 ford tarus sel 6 cyl DOHC
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Have you scanned the computer to see if there are any fault codes and if so what are they?

Where was the fire and the extent of the damage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no codes showing not very big fire it came from manifold up fire wall due to leaking pressure hose for the power steering unit
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

When you say its dumping fuel are you saying its running rich on bank one?

Was the harness damaged in the fire?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the wires have been replaced
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the wires that got burnt were replaced
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

I would suspect you may have damaged the PCM (computer) if the wiring was burned providing you have properly rewired and repaired the damaged harness. I would start with checking the injector pulse on all 3 cylinder on the bank that dumping fuel to make sure the injectors are pulsing and not holding open. You can check the injector pulse on each cylinder with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end on the power side of the injectors and the ground end on the other wire and crank and start the engine. If you have normal pulse the light should flash. I the light stays lit then that would mean the PCM is keeping the injectors open. Check this and let me know the results.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The ECM and the PCM are the same thing and if they have replaced it and its not defective then I would have them recheck there wiring repair. Its very likely something was overlooked.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok ill tell them cause i have got to get my car back on the road
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could there possibly be a fuse that is the problem also
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
or could i have a bad injector
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

It not likely a fuse concern if it starts and runs, it is a possibility the injectors are the problem but not likely because they are bad. I suspect you have either a wiring problem and or the signal to the injector or even a defective replacement PCM.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.