Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2006 ford explorer xlt charge system error light, but car

Customer Question

2006 ford explorer xlt charge system error light , but car seems to run great
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: engine symbol light is on, then dash says check charging system
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The expert you have requested in not online at the moment , My name is ***** ***** I will help you with this, sorry for the delay.

The most common cause for the type of problem you are having with the check charging system light coming on is in most cases caused by a failing alternator providing the connections to it are clean and tight. The light is controlled by the internal voltage regulator in the alternator and its not uncommon for the alternator to charge normally when the light remains on. The fix in most cases is to replace the alternator. I have enclosed the steps to test it in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Feb%2017.pdf

I have also enclosed wiring diagram for reference when testing in this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20Wiring%20Feb%2017.pdf

Have a look and post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.