Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I recently purchased a 2004 ford f 150 ...but when idles

Customer Question

hi I recently purchased a 2004 ford f 150 ...but when idles sounds like a diesel
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the engine as we are driving sounds great ...its just primarily when idling the engine sounds like a diesel ... I have read a few forums and they seem to say to change cam phasers but sound will return...just wondering long term effects or take back to dealer now
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i do have a warranty on it...but what do you tell warranty company
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhuast gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.

if this is OK then I'd next try some oil flush treatment, as you've already found the cam phaser / actuator can stick

if you still have the noise after the oil flush and fresh oil

then yes I'd look into replacing the cam actuator parts