Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid with an airbag light that comes

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid with an airbag light that comes on and does not flash. I replaced the seats with leather heated seats. Everything works well but now I have an airbg light that does not flash. The front drivers and apssenger side pretensioners are in full working order and have not been deployed.
I have checked the PCM with Autel (scan and diagnostic tool) and the tool reads seat belt pretensioner (can't remember the exact code). I have pulled the seat and was going to cut the seatbelt out of the loop (splice and solder) as suggested by the awesome mechanic's on this site. The problem is that the instructions were unclear to me. Do I cut out the wires on the large yellow connector and splice them together bypassing the yellow connector. If I do then what color are the wires or how do I find out. There are quite a few wires within this connector. I aslo have a green connector with two wires that goes directly to the seat belt buckle. Do I splice them? My main confusion is splicing the wires together, which wires exactly and what should it look like when I am done.
This is my first time on this site so thank you in advance. You guys have helped more than I could ever tell you already.
Shawn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Do you have a link to the question that was asked on the site before to see who it was and what they were referring to on the bypass?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jeremy,I have been working on vehicles my whole life and can fix anything. However, I am not an experienced or licenced mechanic hence my questions to you. Troubleshooting sensor and electrical problems takes me forever and I am not very good at all with an Ohm meter. I have rebuilt engines, replaced transmissions, etc etc...basic stuff.The reference to the site where I found the first answer is on Justanswer by one of your colleagues Chris. I have posted the information:Link: http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/8da59b704a0048818d93cf590d3b9b4211 Aug 2008
chrisTitle of Post: On a Ford Escape, my air bag warning light is...Resolved • Response time -657 hours -26 minutes
7 Sep 2008"U20184519Passenger Side Crash Sensor Communications FaultGo To Pinpoint Test AA.B18774626Driver Pretensioner Circuit OpenGo To Pinpoint Test AB.B18854626Driver Pretensioner Circuit Resistance LowGo To Pinpoint Test AB.B18814727Passenger Pretensioner Circuit OpenGo To Pinpoint Test AC.B18864727Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Resistance LowGo To Pinpoint Test AC.
B2444 as you can see from the code list above , you did not cause this code ---you have a code for the L / F pretensioner ---or what you would know as the l/f seat belt buckle ...the escape is known for this code, due to the connector under the seat gets high resistance ---what I do is cut the connector out of the system --there is a repair kit for this from ford but is does not work most of the time ---so push the L/F seat all the way forward ,,then open the L/R door and look under the drivers seat , find the connector that has these two wires -LIGHT GREEN / BLACK and LIGHT GREEN / RED ----cut the connector off and solder the wires together --- this will take the connector and the high resistance out of the system ---then when you restart the car , then air bag lamp should be off"
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

That is an old question from Chris. He still answers questions here so I will opt out and see if I can let him know that you are looking for him. He will be able to work this one better than I can since he knows exactly what to do.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jeremy,
Thank you and I will wait for Chris. I was already typing the bit below so I am just sending for Chris' records. Thank you very much.I reviewed my first post and it is lacking. Here is more helpful information. The 2008 Hybrid was in a front end accident. The only damage was to the drivers side front fender. No airbags deployed. When I first got the vehicle the airbag light was off. I bought a parts vehicle, a 2008 Escape gas engine (limited). I took seats and interior out of the parts vehicle and put them into the Hybrid. The parts vehicle was in quite a bad accident and the front end was totalled. The air bags did deploy on the parts vehicle. However, the seatbelt buckles did not deploy. I checked them and the parts are all in tact and the plastic rippled piece is not pulled down either. I have been told that when the seat buckles deploy a rod punctures the end so that they cannot be used again. These seat belt buckles look in perfect shape.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Is there anyway you can get me the current codes that are stored?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris, Sorry for the delay. I will out of town until Wednesday so no rush getting back to me. I did pull the codes from my diagnostic tool. This is what I got:-B2292 restraint system - seatbelt pretensioner - fault.
-2292_30_CM (Pretensioner open circuit front drivers side) - Fault
-2292_30_OD (Pretensioner open circuit front drivers side) - Fault
-CCNT_RCM continuous codes -1
-1411_31_OD Occupant Classification Sensor CAN ID mismatch (I have two of these?)
-1411_31_OD Occupant Classification Sensor CAN ID mismatch
-Passenger airbag deployment status - active (airbags were not deployed on this vehicle?)
-Drivers pretensioner circuit resistance - 25.5 OHMs
-Driver buckle switch current measurement 0.006 Amps (unbuckled)
-Driver buckle switch current measurement 0.01 Amps (buckled)My diagnostic tool (Autel Maxidas 708) shows every airbag and its status plus other information. If you can tell me specifically what you need to assist I will try to find it and pull it up.Thank you very much. Talk to you in a few days.Shawn

We need to begin diagnosing these with the Ford pinpoint tests for each code. Do you have those steps and or need them?

What year make and model did these replacement seats come from?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris,The seats came out of a 2008 Escape limited (not a hybrid). It is the same year and model as 2008 escape the hybrid. I do not know how to do pinpoint tests but am willing to learn.

Lets start with 2292 and see how that diag goes. See the link below and look it over and let me know where your stuck at?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/b2292.pdf

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris