Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Where is the voltage regulaor on a 2003 ford windstar
,

Customer Question

where is the voltage regulaor on a 2003 ford windstar
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: this is the socond alternator I have put on and it is brand new rebuilt I am trying to find the voltage rgulator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: having the battery and alternator checked for being good or bad
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

the voltage regulator is built inside the alternator

at idle it will not charge ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

can you see with the key ON if the big power wire at the alternator shows 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
an alternator checker on my battery charger
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

ok if that big power wire shows 12 volts with the key ON on the 3 wire connector at the alternator does the orange/light blue wire terminal in the connector show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let me check
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

ok with BOTH those tests showing 12 volts and 2 brand new alternators the only other thing to cause this alternator not to charge is one of the other 2 small wires in the connector being bad from the alternator to the computer being bad or have high resistance or the terminals in the connector being opened up or bad or the computer is bad

as the computer tells the alternator when to charge

the usual way this goes is inspecting the terminals if they look good if they do a visual on those 2 wires from the alternator to the computer if they look good than those 2 wires need to be ohmed out end to end to check for an open or high resistance

if those 2 wires test out good the only thing left is a bad computer i am sorry to say

you can always get be back though this post for FREE with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out ?