Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2006 E250 - When the truck is shut off, the ABS, Check

Customer Question

2006 E250 - When the truck is shut off, the ABS, Check Engine MIL, check gage and yellow wrench illuminate and the radio comes on and stays on until the battery is dead. If I remove the battery saver relay the warning lamps go out. Diagnostics state the instrument cluster is defective and its supplying a ground to the BSR. I have another 06 E250 in my fleet, so I pulled the instrument cluster and connected the harnesses and I have the same result, the BSR is energized from the IC supplying the ground. I have checked both IC grounds and they are both at .4 ohms. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** me take a look at the wiring, give me a few minutes.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Is this a stripped chassis van, or regular e 250?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regular E250
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok I am looking at the diagram and I see the battery saver relay, but it controls most of the lights, the power to the cluster comes directly from the ignition switch through a fuse 14 and 15 in the central junction box. Looks to be black with light green wire at the ignition switch, see if this wire has power with the key off, it should not, should only have power in accessory and run positions.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Here are some diagrams.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have have already disconnected the ignition switch before I contacted you and the condition remains even though the ignition switch is not connected. All 3 light green/black have 12.8v when disconnected from the ignition switch. I reinstalled the BSR and the warning lamps come on.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

That is not right, it should not have any power on the green with black with switch disconnected, somewhere there is power being supplied on the green with black. I would suspect a fuse panel concern or wiring that is tapped into this wiring and backfeeding power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to my drawing in Motologic all 3 get power from fusable link "N" and it comes directly from the battery. Please remember the ignition switch is disconnected and I am telling you that all the light green wires in its connector are hot as they should be, otherwise there would be no power supplied for the ignition switch.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok you are talking about light green with violet wires, I am talking about black with light green. Sorry for the confusion, is there power on this wire when the switch is disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the violet and black tracers almost look the same with a flashlight. The LG/BLK has no power disconnected from the switch.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, have you pulled the accessory delay relay under the hood to see if maybe the relay contacts are stuck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its already pulled and I tested the relay and it is good.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

And the radio still stayed on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the radio doesn't come on with the ADR pulled. If the ADR is installed the radio plays.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

With the relay pulled is the radio still on?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the light blue with red wire must be grounded somewhere energizing the relay, since replacing the cluster with another one did not fix it. I would pull the accessory delay relay and disconnect the instrument cluster and check the light blue with red for a grounded wire, there is only one connector inbetween the battery junction box and the cluster and this is the large bulhead connector. I suspect if you had a grounding issue on the wire it would be under the hood, rarely does a wire ground inside, but it can happen. I would check this wire first.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Here is my diagram I am looking at.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will check it, but it will be tomorrow. Can I continue with you then?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will contact you tomorrow by text. Have great evening!
.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

You too! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the LB/R circuit has .4 ohms and is not shorted. The radio is not coming on today at all, no ground to the ADR from the ICM. I also checked ICM pin 1 - VIO/ ORG to the BSR at .4 ohms and no shorts. Plugged the ICM back in and it grounds pin 1 and the indicator lamps come on. If I pull F2.4 fuse for interior lighting the warning lamps go out but the ground continues on pin 1 to the BSR. I installed the ICM in the other E250 and it works normally. Something has to be causing the ICM to apply the ground when it shouldn't
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, indicator lamps meaning check engine, abs correct? Not illumination lamps correct?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for power at the ICM at pins 2 LB/pink and pin 5 white/yellow to see if there is power here only with key on, and no power when key is off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. I pulled the main 60 amp fuse and everything goes off, reinstall fuse, everything off, open the door and no interior lights, turn the headlamp switch for interior lights and they come and the MILS and CHECK GAUGES come back on along with grounding the BSR and the fuel and battery gauges come on. Pull the BSR and everything shuts off.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

It seems to me the cluster is getting power to turn on. Make sure there is no power on these 2 circuits.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ICM pins are hot with key on only
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am going to open this question back up as I don't have any information on what exactly will power up the cluster when the key is off. Another expert should be along shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott, haven't heard from anyone. Do you know who was taking over? This truck will go back on the road in the mirning. The only solution I have come with is to remove the BSR. I checked the current draw and it's at an acceptable level .5 amps.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Nobody has picked this question up yet, I am sorry, the only thing I can think of right now since you have 2 vehicles there is to check each pin on the instrument cluster connector of the good vehicle, write down what voltage if any is on each pin, then check the problem van the same way, then see if any one pin is different as far as voltage. I thought maybe the VSM vehicle security module may be waking up the instrument cluster, but i have never seen one turn on all the warning lights, check engine, abs ect. This problem is really puzzling and is bugging me, it seems nobody else want to try either.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

I am still thinking on this one, I hate defeat. lol

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Have Already Put Both Vehicles Back TOGETHER As They Are Needed At 5 am. They won't be back until next Friday evening. I'm on vacation the next week and won't be back until the 29th.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,was this a gas or diesel vehicle, what size engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a gas with the 4.6 V8. Both are the same.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou I will keep digging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio thing was weird today. Sometimes it would come on with key off and I checked the relay for ground which it had and when I had the key on and the radio should be playing and it was not and no ground to the radio.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok good info. I will look at some grounds.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance check ground 203.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

This 203 ground is tied to cluster, radio, ect. On LH side of dash, then make sure dash metal has a good ground also.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Looks like g202 is right with it also, make sure it is tight and clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already checked them before I contacted you yesterday. Both were .3 ohms to battery ground.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

I would voltage drop them when the problem is present, using a ohmeter to check grounds is not the best, ***** ***** check the circuits when the problem is occurring and the circuits loaded. Should be no more than .2volt with circuits powered up and problem present.