CargoVroom
CargoVroom, Mechanic
Experience:  25 years troubleshooting and repair experience
18883126

My 2000 ford excursion starts vibrating at 40-45 mph; even

Customer Question

my 2000 ford excursion starts vibrating at 40-45 mph; even with cruise control engaged. if I let off of the accelerator and coast, the vibration stops until I accelerate again. I was told this may be a defective torque converter or possibly an electrical issue with the transmission shift solenoids. The vehicle has 4 brand new tires that were professionally mounted and balanced this week.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

yes, it does sound like the torque converter is giving you whats called a shutter. it happens when the clutches inside slip and causes this condition. try running again and press the OD button and see if there is no vibration. that will help confirm the issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did press the O/D button while driving and had no change in the driving condition.
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

are there any codes in the system???

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

I see you requested a new pro. shame we just started.

good luck

Roy

Expert:  CargoVroom replied 9 months ago.

I would suggest before you go off and tear into the torque convertor/transmission, check the rear driveline. Chances are its a simple matter of a universal joint on the way out. They are not a lifetime unit by any means, and, if original are non-greasable