Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

05 escape 3 liter. Turns over and won't start.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

How exactly are you testing for voltage at that inertia switch? With it unplugged I assume the positive voltmeter lead is on the wire coming from the fuel pump relay but where are you attaching the voltmeter negative test lead? It has to go to a clean metal ground and not just to the other wire leading back to the fuel pump in the inertia switch plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With plug out on hot lead and the screw holding the switch to the body. Poked into the wire that goes to the fuel pump driver, then to the screw. If you want anything retested I will do that. Vehicle is on the lift and I have a digital volt meter. I am a hvac service tech, 13 years. I am either missing something simple or this wonky
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok at first you said, 9 volts, then you say 12 volts. I think it's best to tell me what color wires you are testing. I am going to get the wiring diagram, too so I know which you are testing and where.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the wiring diagram,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volts at the inertia switch, 9 volts at the fuel pump driver. Pink and black wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also hooked up a 12 volt battery to pink and black and black at the fuel pump driver. I also have a wiring diagram
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

There should be 0 volts at the pink/black wire with the inertia switch unplugged. If you read anything there, with it unplugged then there is a short circuit.

You did say, " I have 9 volts from inertia switch with the plug out "

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Run a jumper from the inertia switch pin 2 to the fuel pump module pin 5 and bypass that pink/black wire and try that for now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
between pink and black and black. Why zero volts if that is the hot lead from the inertia switch and relay?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You said, "I also hooked up a 12 volt battery to pink and black and black at the fuel pump driver." but you never said what the result was, whether it ran or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing was the result
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you just said, "Yes between pink and black and black." Yes to what question and are they 3 wires? You said, "pink and black and black". What does that mean?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, where did you ground this 12 volt source at?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I see that just because there is 12 volts to that module pink/black wire doesn't mean the fuel pump is going to run, that module also has to be triggered by the pcm as well. You may want to retrieve the codes from the pcm and find out if any refer to that module and/or wiring.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Once you get the code, give it to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a code reader. 9 volts same as if the pink and black wire is hooked up. With a better ground I got 10.5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rechecked inertia switch I have 11.6 on both sides. Same as the battery. Charge is low. I have a jump pack on it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you how to make s san tool for about $32. If you have a laptop even cheaper.

Here is how to make an inexpensive scan tool from a cellphone.

I bought his phone Alcatel Onetouch Pixi Pulsar A460G from the dollar general store for $20. It has the android system. You don't have to activate the phone or buy minutes, if you have a wireless router for your internet service. If you don't have internet service you can though purchase a USB adapter. The 2 adapters are either the USB which is a physical connection between the vehicle DLC and the phone or even a laptop. The other is WIFI, plus I believe it would work with Bluetooth also. Anyhow, I bought that phone for $20. Then purchase an ELM 327 adapter from here http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327-wifi-obd2-diagnostics-scanner-for-apple-ios-android-pc/ for the wifi one or here http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327-usb-cable-obd2-diagnostics-scanner-with-cp2102-chip/ for the usb one.

Then download the free software here, http://forscan.org/download.html

For the usb hookup you want the FORScan version 2.2.10 beta for Windows - free

If you want to go wifi, you will need internet access because you have to install it right from the cellphone from the google store but it's only like $5 for the FORScan Lite 1.1.3 for Android (Core 2.2.8) - paid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to charge my battery. I can only get 10 volts now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Charge it at 10 amps for an hour or overnite at 4 amps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back at it about 9 am cst tomorrow
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok