EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2001 ford escape had engine and compartment fire. New block,

Customer Question

2001 ford escape had blown engine and compartment fire. New long block, plugs, injectors checked all plug coils all firing. Idles rough, slow acceleration in park. Have a innova can-obd1&2. Got engine code PO443 ( evaporative emission control valve circuit) Also at top of window we have cat eva o25 htr egr that are flashing. Not sure what all this means or where to start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. P0443 indicates a problem with the wiring or the evap purge valve. It is located under the hood. Is this a v6 or 4 cyl?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. This is a V6. I found the valve from Haynes motor manual. They don't tell you how to test to find out if it is the valve or wiring. This had an engine compartment fire on the right side, the valve is on the left. Repaired or replaced wiring on right side. The fire did distort the cover on the computer connector, all wires seemed to be ok and in good shape. As I am not familiar with this system do not know how to test to know where to look for the problem. I am an old 60s Mech. been out of touch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried removing both vacuum lines from the switch and plugged them, did not help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got another fast question, now that I have it running tried to put it in gear will back up will not go forward. shutters forward a few inches roll back. Tranny fluid level ok. The old trannys this ment the clutches are gone need a rebuild. Is that the case or could there be elect problems that need to be checked out first on a different session?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You can use an ohm meter and at least check for continuity through the evap purge valve. Also check fuse 5 (15amp) in the box under the hood. Check all other fuses as well. Preferably with a test light to make sure the fuses even have power to them. You could still have a wiring issue affecting the transmission. It is possible though that the trans does need an overhaul. Smell the fluid. It should not be too dark or smell burnt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok had a blown fuse. replaced it. Cleared codes tried again, still runs rough. code po443 is gone. now have code PO 441, O2 censer circuit, bank I, censer 2. Will let engine cool down, and check wires on rear O2 censer. Replaced both front ones burnt wires. Have you got any suggestions while I am under there.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Not really. The circuit code can be set by the wiring to the o2 sensor or by the o2 sensor itself. Just visually check the wiring for the 02 sensor. You may need to be replacing the rear ones also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I know bank 1 is the rear bank, but is censer 2 the top one, I think I may have replaced it also, or is censer 2 the one on the exhaust pipe heading back?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Yes, bank 1 is the rear. Sensor 2 is not the top one in the manifold/cat. Sensor 2 is the one down on the pipe in the back near the oil pan.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you made progress checking out your escape? Please let me know if you have more questions and please rate my service. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well finally got the wiring harness out and repaired. No codes, engine still runs rough, no change. Almost like it has a miss, one knock sometimes when first fires. Battery light on, new alternator and battery.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Make sure mass air flow sensor is clean. You can try disconnecting it and seeing that helps. You should have replaced the intake o-rings when swapping them over. It may be possible that the cats got damaged and maybe they are plugged up. That would cause a running rough and may be hard to accelerate. It would be nice to determine if you have a single or multiple misfires, or just poor running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the mass air censer looked clean but cleaned it with solvent reinstalled, no difference. Checked all fittings, sprayed them and manifold joints with water, did not see any water being drawn in, didn't get extra miss. Feels like single miss, will shake hood and feel it in car, can feel it in exhaust when holding hand at tail pipe. When engine is warmed up and accelerate engine, get a knock sound when first accelerate. Plugged Cats? I assume you mean catalytic convertor, how can you check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The O rings where replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed the motor manual tells you how to replace the mass air censer, does this mean they go bad, if so how can you tell? All the little wires in it looked OK.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Mass air flow sensors are difficult to check and usually a known good one is installed if the sensor is suspected as being bad. Usually a bad one will just cause abnormal engine running problems, or rich codes to be set in the computer. If the knock you are referring to is spark knock then a plugged cat converter can cause that. To check the cat you either install an exhaust backpressure gauge into the oxygen sensor hole and see if there is too much backpressure in the exhaust. The other way is to remove the exhaust and look into the cat to see if it is damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried getting a reading at the o2 censer, My gage reads in 5 increments no reading. I have one that reads in 2lb, but would have to buy fittings to get it hooked up, As I don't know what the back pressure should be don't know what type of gage is needed. Left the o2 censer our to release back pressure, no change in engine. Still had miss and runs between 500 & 800 RPM for a while before settling down. The knock does sound like a spark knock, you get about 4 or 5 knocks when you first step on gas. What should the back pressure be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thinking about draining the gas tank and putting new gas in it, don't know what somebody may have put in it before I bought it.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Exhaust backpressure should not be more than 3psi during a wide open throttle snap. Maybe the gas is old. This one is difficult for me to speculate any further without hearing or seeing the car. Maybe you can take a video of the engine while starting it up and idling and skipping and revving it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Draining the gas tank turned out to be a big job, didn't know they quite putting drain plugs in the bottom of gas tanks. Got it done didn't help. old gas worked fine in lawn mower, thought maybe some one put e85 in it but not the case. Checked for vacuum leaks again with a fog machine, could not see fog being drawn in any where. There is one item we haven't checked it has a steel pipe coming up from the exhaust manifold, a type of valve, then in to the intake manifold. Not sure what it does or how it works. Would or could it cause a problem? Will see if the boy can make a video with sound, do we attach it to this where it says add files?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You can attach a video there. The tube is the egr tube. That will not cause your problem. What ever happened with the checking the exhaust for restrictions? did the old motor blow up and cause the fire or was the motor working fine when the fire occured?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had to get a gage for the back pressure, it was less then 1 lb. I think the old engine blew up spraying hot oil on the exhaust causing the fire. I had to disassemble the engine in the car, as what was left of the center rear piston was wedged between the crank and block, could not turn crank to release the thrust plate from the torque converter. there was an intake manifold bolt missing. Theory? Someone was working on it dropped bolt in center rear cylinder port, started engine, took out piston, rod took out block and pan. The only good part left was the front head. My son live 3 hrs. from here so will be a few days before he can get here for the video. Did notice this morning that when engine is stone clod idling at 1000RPM the miss is not so pronounced and you don't get that knock sound. Only for the first minute or so. The knock sounds like the old engines with carbs, when the power valve or accelerator pump was going out. lean mixture that's why I keep looking for a vac leak. I will see if my grandson can do a video.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the plastic intake manifold when you replaced the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't replace the manifold it looked ok, no cracks or holes. I was thinking about that myself, maybe I missed something. Although it didn't draw any fog down when we used the fog machine, unless it was someplace we couldn't see. As for the video it will be a while before my son can get down here, my grandson said he could do it if he had an email address to send it to he doesn't know how to get it on the add files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have found the problem. As I had not removed the throttle body from the manifold thought would check the O ring there. There is only two bolts holding the throttle body to the manifold even the brass inserts are missing. Found a manifold that fits an 05 to 07 will it fit my 01? Will pull it and check #s but sometimes the difference will not matter as they added a bump for something I don't have.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

To add files you use the paperclip icon in this chat. The reason I ask about the manifold, is because if you put a used manifold on an engine that blew up there could be metal and pieces in the intake and they get sucked into the new engine on start up. I have seen that mistake be made before. It kind of sounds like you have a base engine problem. Especially with the knocking you describe. I video of the noise will help me out. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Its been a while, pulled intake to double check for cracks. decided to pull the plugs while I had it off, one plug was clean like it had never fired. Plug fired while out of engine. Decided to buy a set of plug coils. replaced them, got rid of the miss and the knock. Still runs a little rough, smells gassy. Its the same weather warm or cold, open for suggestions.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 11 months ago.

With smell of gas you could have an issue with a fuel injector or mass air flow sensor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The injectors were new when I put the engine in. It was a long waiting for an answer so I bought a new mass air censer and installed, no change. BUT I let the engine run longer, the exhaust manifold pipe right at the top oxygen censer area turned red hot, tried changing back to the original mass air censer, let it run longer still turned red hot. It could have been doing it before just not letting it run long enough to turn red hot.

For the exhaust to be red hot then too much fuel is dumping into the engine. Fuel pressure may be too high. The pcm may be holding an injector on. An injector wire may be shorted to ground.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Let me check the wires first. Can I check them for continuity to ground? If so I think there is two wires to each injector, should one, both, or none have continuity? If one should be to ground about what would the resistance be? Sorry about all the questions but they didn't have injectors in the 50's
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pushed the escape over the pit so I could check the back manifold without getting burnt. Nether manifold got hot, instead both fans come on and the engine gauge showed hot. Never did this before so shut it down.

You just said the exhaust got red hot. I feel we are going in circles here. I have been working with this since Feb. and without a positive rating yet, I feel I will have to open this question up and see if any other experts want to give it a go.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am wondering about the PCM ? Where the symptoms change, and the transmission doesn't work in forward. Didn't check the wires as the manifold didn't get hot. Let me know what you think.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. See if you can find another mechanic on your end, mean while I will work on it on my end. I solved the problem of the miss and knock on my own so all we have left is the rough idle. Maybe I can solve that one too.