EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 1994 ford ranger xlt - 4.0 liter 6 cylinder with

Customer Question

I have a 1994 ford ranger xlt - 4.0 liter 6 cylinder with 208,000. I bought it a year ago and it has consistently run beautifully. Yesterday, however, I was driving it into town and it coughed once and the engine light came on. After a minute or so the engine light went off, but then a little later it coughed again and on came the light again. It was really cold here yesterday in Wisconsin so don't know if the cold weather may have had something to do with it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Several issues can cause the problem you are having. Such as a Mass Air Flow Sensor, spark plugs or wires or ignition coil. A fault with the EGR sensor is also a possibility.

Once you bring it to the shop they are going to retrieve the code in the computer. Since the engine light was on, a code has been stored in the computer. Retrieving the code will help in determining what may have happened.

THank you for viewing my response. Have you had the problem fixed, or do you have more questions? Thank you and please rate my service. Thanks.