HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My name is ***** ***** i have a 97 town car when i went to

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** i have a 97 town car when i went to turn off key turned back car wont shut off i made the car stall all the lights stay on i can not turn car off or on the key turns nothing changes i replaced the tumbler same thing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: is there a switch possible at the end of rod that is moved by the key
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

Yes, sometimes the insides of the ignition switch fall apart and the actuator rod won't turn the vehicle off when the key is turned off.

.

If you give me your email address, I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello yes there is an electrical ignition switch on the lower portion of the steering column and is moved by a plastic actuator rod that can break inside the steering column. You would need to remove the steering column and completely disassemble it to replace the actuator rod which is a big job with the column and tilt steering. Also the actuator and ignition key tumbler must be timed properly for it to crank the vehicle and shut off as it should. You can unbolt the large ignition switch on the lower portion of the steering column. Has a large electrical connector on it, and manually move the switch from on to off to crank if you need to wait to do the repair.