Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

My 2004 Expedition battery went dead. I replaced it and now

Customer Question

My 2004 Expedition battery went dead. I replaced it and now the clock portion of the navigation screen shows "--:--" for the time. I can reset it manually, but when I shut the vehicle off and restart it the clock goes back to dashes. It has the single CD in dash with navigation system, and the 6-disc changer in the center console. Any ideas? The radio holds the presets just fine, it's only the clock that is having issues and it worked fine prior to the battery going dead. Thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Allow me to look up the wiring diagrams to see if there is a separate circuit or fuse. I need to know some more information first. Which engine is in this, the 5.4 or 4.6?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4 Sir, and thank you!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I found these fuses, all in the central junction box, fuses 4, 7, 22 and 31. 4 and 31 should be hot all the time and 7 hot with the key on start, so I don't think it would be that one and 22 hot with the accessory delay relay energized.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike, I will check those shortly and post a reply. Appreciate the help. Seems weird that changing the battery would cause a fuse to blow, but it guess an electrical spike while jumping it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, especially if the key was left in the ignition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting, I'm pretty sure it was!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, all of those fuses are good. Any chance one could be bad but not "blown" - where it appears good and the element still good, but something else wrong?I've also heard of one similar situation where an owner removed the radio/Nav system fuse, turned the key on and inserted the fuse with the key on and it reset everything and all was working after that. Seems like a bad idea to me and dangerous, any thoughts on that?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No, I would not add or remove a fuse with the key on but you can try removing the fuse and putting it back in with the key off. Them fuses 4 and 31 are supposed to be hot all the time anyhow. So, to answer your first question you could test both sides of each fuse when it is supposed to be hot with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light. You may also want to check the interior light fuses cause I seen a mention of the interior lights in the wiring diagram.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That would be fuse 6 in the central junction box, hot all the time.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here are the wiring diagrams, if all the fuses are ok, I do see any audio on connection to the cd player from the radio, so it may be a problem with the power from the radio itself,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, I talked to my local Ford dealership - decided to stop in as I was driving by to see if they had any ideas, they said they've seen the clock/radio/nav system not work right after battery replacement before and to just disconnect it again, and wait 20 minutes, then reconnect. I did that, didn't solve the issue. However, while doing that and resetting the clock I noticed that if I turn the ignition to on, the time is there. It's when I actually turn it to start momentarily where it seems to be losing time, like it's creating an interruption of the constant, "always hot," feed to the radio. I suspect this changes the scope of the problem some?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what else to think. Did the dealer try to retrieve any codes from the vehicle?