Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2003 Taurus that has a

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** and I have a 2003 Taurus that has a draw on the battery. With all fuses in ,doors closed, everything off,1.07A then drops to .52A. I am assuming the drop is the battery saver relay. With fuse 16 out I end up with .06A draw. I don't have any wiring diagrams for this car. The Internet tells me the GEM could be suspect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Didn't know I had a problem until the car sat for 2 weeks ! Had fuse 26 out and it dropped the draw some but pulling 16 helped the most. Also unplugged the radio and that didn't change anything.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this is fuse 16 in the under hood fuse panel this fuse feeds the fuel pump relay.In some cases the fuel pump relay will stick on and cause this draw here with the relay needing replaced.This is a 20 amp fuse.

If this is the 15 amp fuse located in the central junction box fuse panel this feeds the GEM and the remote climate control module itself as well as the instrument cluster,multi function turn signal switch,and the integrated control panel.Each of these components will need unplugged individually one at a time re checking the draw one at a time until you come across the component that the draw is no longer present when it is unplugged.This will be the component needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can the GEM be unplugged without storing the program?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You can unplug it without damaging anything as long as you leave the key off.The GEM is the most likely cause or the instrument cluster as these are known common faults with the GEM being the biggest issue.If the drop goes to normal when the GEM is unplugged then it will need replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** keep at it!
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome