Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 2005 Ford explorer that is showing Fail safe mode

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford explorer that is showing Fail safe mode with a lighted wrench, codes po122-PO223-P2106-PO2110. I HAVE REPLACED THROTTLE BODY COMPLETELY, THE COMPUTER, AND REKEYED 2 TIMES FOR 2 DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. WHAT IS THE BEST SOLUTION?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, my name is***** am a verified expert automobile technician. I, and all others like me are neither employees nor agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell our Expert knowledge to customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, please let me know what you need from me so you’re pleased with my efforts and reward me with a Positive Rating.

The important codes are P0122 and P0223, the other 2 codes are the onboard computer's way of telling you there is something wrong with the throttle system and that it's putting the powertrain on Forced Limited Power. So, once we take care of P0122 and P0223, the powertrain will be back to normal.

Since you have already replaced the TB and the PCM, I suspect the problem to be in the wiring from the TPS to the PCM. I can help you find what's wrong, but first I ned to know what kind of diag equipment you'll be using to do this, scan tool (must be able to read PID)?, digital multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a actron CP9125 pocket scan and a digital meter. do I need to get a better scan tool?

I'm afraid that Actron code reader won't be of much use to us here. Ideally, we should use a scan tool capable of reading engine data so we could then check that data against actual voltage readings we took with a multimeter from a break-out box connected to the PCM - notice I said "Ideally", we probably end up winging it with just the multimeter ;-)

By the way, what size engine are we working with? auto or stick trans? 2 0r 4WD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a 4.0 V6 automatic*****Eddie Bauer addition.

OK. First thing we need to do is check TPS voltage. Being that the TPS in this throttle body is actually two sensors, TPS1 works with opposite voltage to TPS2.

So, turn the ignition on and going by the attached graphic, check for the following voltages:

With gas pedal fully released:

Terminal 1 (Grey/White wire) - 0.3 to 1.9 volts

Terminal 4 (Yellow/White wire) - 3.7 to 4.7 volts

With gas pedal fully applied:

Terminal 1 - 4.1 to 4.7 volts

Terminal 4 - 0.7 to 2.9 volts

With ignition on, gas pedal released or applied:

Terminal 2 (Yellow/White wire) - 5 volts

Terminal 3 (Pink/Orange wire) - 0 volts (ground)

Please let me know the results and we'll take it from there.

Best Regards.

TPS connector graphic attached.