Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Just replaced head after it has been sitting years with out

Customer Question

just replaced head after it has been sitting for two years with out one on it. cleaned everything out set timing and it cranks to the point of almost starting but wont run. pulled it down the road and it started and ran for about 30 seconds and died pulled it a little further it started but only would idle,if i gave it any gas it would die. pulled it further it started but only idled for about 5 minutes.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: thanks
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: that is about it.
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Does it have 2 year old gas in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drained it replaced filter and put 4 gallons of New to try it . Used my scanner to turn pump on and remove any in the lines
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Good, when you get it to idle but it dies when you crack the throttle you either have too much air (vacuum leak) or too little fuel.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can check the pressure and a vacuum gauge you can check the vacuum with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do i check vacuum at? What should fuel pressure be?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

What model, year and engine size of Ford do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
97 ranger 2.3 engine manual trans
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

at idle or cranking you want 35 - 40 psi and 18" of steady vacuum.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Any vacuum port connected directly to the manifold can be used to check vacuum.