HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

S. I have a 2006 f150 that was running fine one morning and

Customer Question

S.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2006 f150 that was running fine one morning and went to stop at a red light and motor shut down and engine light came on and said low oil pressure. I struggled to get it to crank to get it out of traffic and when it did it sounded horrible and had no power. I had it towed to my house where I had a friend put a hand held OBD reader on it and it showed a code po345 bank2 so I replaced the cam shaft position sensor. It didn't get any better. I changed the coils and still no better, I unplugged each coil individually and the only one that will kill the engine is number one on bank one, the rest I can unplug with no difference. I had a mechanic part time mechanic down the road look at it and he told me that it had a small knock on bank to and believed my phaser was bad so I had phasers, tensioners, guides, timing chain and oil pump all replaced he showed me where one of the tensioners had broken and we believed that was the cause and after all back together there is still no change. It will crank a lot easier than it did the day it broke down but runs really rough, shakes and has no power at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's all I can think of for now
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, so it runs, but makes noise and runs poorly now? Any warning lights on, low oil pressure light on? How many miles on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Service engine light is on. 180,000 miles
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok do you know what codes are stored now? It is still making engine noise? Have you checked engine oil pressure with a gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't done neither since he got through replacing the parts. Has a slight ticking noise when running
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok need to know since the check engine light is on what code(s) are stored, if he replaced the vct solenoids with the timing chins and phasers, base engine oil pressure controls vct operation and with that many miles you can have a worn main engine bearing causing low oil pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only said low oil pressure that one time when it went dead. I just got the vct solenoid and I am replacing it this evening
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok just checking, you are replacing the vct on the noisey side of the engine or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just replaced it and it's a lot better but missing pretty bad and hard to crank. What is the firing order on this vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only replaced the noisy side. The passenger side was replaced a few months ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we crank it it reads of gasoline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reaks
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You cant change the firing order, the engine may be out of time when the timing chain was replaced, a compression test would tell you if it was.A check for codes will tell you more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the firing order so that I can make sure my cams are set right? 2006 F150 5.4 triton 4x4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It now sounds like a backfire through the intake. Almost a knocking noise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it's on TDC with number 1 with valve closed where should the valves be set at on number 5?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

There are marks on the chain links that line up with the cams. one moment

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPs9KuJmqM This youtube video will show the complete timing procedure. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the firing order

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have douts on the so called mechanic that worked on my truck. I feel it's out of time on count of hard to crack, smells like gas when it does and it shakes0
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Thats what it sounds like, you can run a compression test to see if its low or tear it down and chck via the youtube video i posted for you to verify timing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forwarded video to the man working on truck and he broke it back down yesterday and when he Crunk it, it's still got a miss I watched the video and after watching I realized he has the left cam phaser on the passenger side and right on the drivers side. The video shows the opposite, will this make a difference?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as the timing marks are different on the different side phasers.