Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I'm repairing the driver's side door handle. Got the rivets

Customer Question

I'm repairing the driver's side door handle. Got the rivets drilled out, but how do I separate the rod from the door latch assembly. Don't want to break the plastic retainer.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The door handle attaches to the door latch via a metal rod. There is a plastic piece that holds that metal rod to the latch. The inner part is threaded onto the rod, and somehow is connected to another plastic part that is attached to the door latch assembly. These pieces are located behind the window track so I can't get a tool or my finders in there to separate them, John
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my nam is Tim, what is the year make and model of this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998 ford explorer XLT
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the rod where it attaches to the handle does not have a clip, it is a hook and just comes out, once the door handle is loose, you can turn the handle enough to remove the hook from the handle,Tim