Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

I plan to replace my 96 4.6 with a used 4.6., will my

Customer Question

i plan to replace my 96 4.6 with a used 4.6., will my current computer be compatable with any used or rebuilt 4.6 and maintain all electrical/ignition and accessories
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 months ago.

Hello you are just fine changing engine, You did not mention year of replacement but lets assume you are using another year, no problem , it will bolt in BUT,, the thing you need to do? set both engines side by side, be sure all sesnors from the old engine go to replacement engine, Hope this makes sense, The computer reprogram or another computer is not about the " long block" but could be affected by sensors and year of the new engine so,, just be sure to transfer sensors to new engine, and all will be just fine, Now,, if a sensor is in the new engine that is in same location, looks same as old engine 98% you can leave it there, just saying best to transfer sensors from old to new and does not involve the computer at all.,