gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My 1985 Ford XLT Bronco driver side door just suddenly

Customer Question

My 1985 Ford XLT Bronco driver side door just suddenly stopped latching correctly. It opens and closes fine but I think its the secondary latch if that makes sense doesnt click closed. It sounds like there's something in the way almost blocking the latch from grabbing. Best ideas as to how to adjust it to get it back working right? I looked at the passenger side and it looks like the driver side so not sure where to go from here.
Thanks: Greg
Category: Ford
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

If you try latching the latch with the door open- just use a screwdriver and slide it in the latch the same way the door striker would go in- see if you can get the finger of the latch to rotate all the way back to where the second latching point is.

It's possible you may have to remove the door trim panel, and remove the latch in order to work on it. I have seen issues with the spring popping off the finger (which may even get in the way of the finger moving a that point) but would also not hold tension on it to allow it to latch tight.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried to rotate the latching gears but when I shut the door it just banged cause it was blocked. Do you possible have any pics that you could send to show what to look for? Also how large should the screwdriver be? Thanks

I'm just talking about latching the latch without closing the door, so you can see the finger rotate. Thnk if the striker bar on the body, you just want some kind of rod that is that thick or thinner to push on the rotating finger (so it can go into the slot for the striker)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just put a small bar in latch and pushed it till the latch grabbed it completely around but when I tried it on the striker it still doesn't latch completely,next step?

Is it possible that your striker bolts have come loose, and it has slid "inward" toward the interior? You could try loosening the bolts and see if you can slide the striker outward and retighten.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry for the time between chats. i checked the striker bolts and they are tight so im not sure what to do now. is there a way to adjust the latch cause i still think its the latch cause the passenger side works great but the drivers side only closes part way.how do i get in there to adjust it?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 9 months ago.

Does it feel like it is hitting something solid on the latch side of the door, or could it be that your hinges have something catching in them and stopping the door from closing fully? Also, your door isn't sagging at all, if you close it slowly and watch the latch does it line up well with the striker?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it feels like something is blocking the latch from catching. the door doesnt appear to drop and when i put a small bar where the latch should catch it seems to do so, but only when the door is open not when its trying to catch the striker bar. I dont see anything it the hinges but will check again while you respond.

Loosen the bolts on the striker, and see if it can be adjusted outward further, then retighten.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay but it doesnt look like it moves that way. do you mean push it from side to side or slide it front to back if facing it ?

Outward- toward the door, so it goes deeper into the latch when closing.