Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with a 5.8. I replaced the battery

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with a 5.8. I replaced the battery and the silanoid when I turn the key nothing. It doesn't click or nothing. But as soon as you touch it with a set of jumper cables it fires right up. Let it run for awhile and shut it off and it doesn't start again. whats my next step
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, where are you touching with jumper cables? also, do you have a testlight or volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im putting the cables on the battery post. No i dont have test light or voltmeter
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

so you are basically jump starting and it starts and runs just fine, When you turn it off does anything work like wipers, headlights, blower, etc etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it completely powers up everything works great you would expect it to start
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I have to step out, so I am going to opt out and open the post, another expert will be along soon to help

Expert:  sarmiento22556 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try to help you with your concern

It sounds like the battery you replaced is not good or a loose or bad connection at the battery

double check all connections and grounds