Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Kwhen to change o2 sensors, gas mileage is too low 94 Taurus

Customer Question

kwhen to change o2 sensors, gas mileage is too low
94 Taurus 3.0, 104,000 ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. Is the check engine light currently on now when driving? Also, roughly what is your fuel mileage? and do you see any black smoke from the exhaust? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check engine light no. mileage in town about 14. no black smoke. seems to run fine. Could a spark plug wire be
wrong
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it could be misfiring, but that would soon set off a check engine light most likely as it would be running rich, Have you ever checked the codes in it? That is the first thing I would do , and if no codes are in it, I would not replace the O2 sensors. Also, you can take a spray bottle of water/baking soda mixture, spray the wires down, and see if they arc, or see if it misfires really bad then at idle, if so, I would replace the wires, If they are original, then I would suggest that.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Are you working on it now by chance?