Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

I have a 2004 Escape with a single CD player with cassette.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Escape with a single CD player with cassette. I want to install a six CD player, but the plugs on the back don't match up. Is there an adapter I can add to make the change?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, unless it requires a wire harness being changed.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I removed the single player with not problem, that's when I found the difference in plugs. Other sites I have checked say there is a pigtail to make the change. I need to know if this is true or not.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. First, is the six CD changer your wanting to install a Ford unit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, There is a difference of one wire I believe, because the 6 changer came with a factory amplifier or preimum sound and I believe your base radio did not.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

I'm looking at both radio diagrams now, did the 6 changer come out of an escape ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I purchased it from ebay. Said it was for a ford escape and a mercury.
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, I follow you. You didn't get any harness with the new radio correct? just the unit itself without any wires?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just the unit itself, no harness
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

I know what you need, I'm trying to find it. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

You need a regular radio harness to premium radio harness. I'm not sure Ford makes it, so I'm looking at other options. thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Do any of your plugs fit your radio? I believe you only had 1 going to it, or do none of them fit in the 6 cd changer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The plug on the single player does not match any of the plugs on the six disc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The single player has one plug, the six disc .has three plugs
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, I follow you on that. what you will need is one of these, this plugs into your existing wiring harness, Then you will need the 3 plugs off a premium system wiring harness, and splice those together, and it should work then, however, you don't have a factory amplifier in your vehicle now, so you'll basically have a premium sound receiver, without the premium sound package, but I believe if you match your wire colors up by looking at the diagram that you will have 4 speakers that all work, it just won't sound quite as good as a Ford factory premium sound would.

My advice would be to get these plugs from a junkyard and cut out the plugs, but here are some links to two of the plug kits that you will need to splice together.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

that harness will plug into your current 6 changer cd.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

And that harness will plug into your existing 1 plug for the radio, then you follow the wiring diagram to wire up the 6 changer to the factory harness. That is the way I would do it, If you've never done it before, or don't feel comfortable with wiring and wiring diagrams, then I might just suggest best buy or a car stereo place for this installation. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.