Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2000 Ford E350 passenger van. No air comes out

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford E350 passenger van. No air comes out through the air vents. I removed the access panel on top of the dash near the front windshield and found a vacuum actuator that if I push the arm into, then air comes out the vents. But it won't stay in with the A/C selector switch on vents.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does it only blow through the defroster vent at this time? Is the vacuum hose from the engine compartment with check valve for the air flow system in one piece?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been watching some youtube videos and understand a lot more now about the use of vacuum hoses to control the control doors. I also learned that the default is defroster vents. I'm going out to check now. I know a mouse has been inside the van (I just bought it and the previous owner lives out in the country). I have had a mouse chew through a vaccum hose on a previous vehicle I owned so I'm going to go check vacuum hoses first and air flow front and back (the E350 passenger van has roof mounted air vents and also vents along the floor towards the back).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the air only goes through the defroster and along the floor in the back. I discovered that a previous owner patched the black vacuum hose going to the rear of the vacuum actuator in the top of the dash (the one on the right) but didn't seal the connection. When I pressed the hose with my fingers to close it better, the actuator arm went into the actuator and air began to flow out of the vents. I took pictures of what I found but I see that there is no way to send them. I think if I get electrical tape and wrap the connection well, it will prevent vacuum leak and keep the vents operating correctly...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I see I can add files. I'll upload the two pictures I took.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does what I said and found make sense?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes, either you have a vacuum leak on the supply hose that goes inside the firewall or a cracked vacuum resouvoir tank on the back of the ac evaporator core for the system.This will cause it to default to the defroster. If the vacuum line is good but the vacuum tank is cracked, you can install a new vacuum tank inside the vehicle and route vacuum hose to it verses removing the complete evaporator housing to replace it.