Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Showing a delta t of 20 to 25 degrees between water and oil

Customer Question

Showing a delta t of 20 to 25 degrees between water and oil temps on digital guage setup. Engine wrench light has never come on but have guage set up to alarm at 235 degree oil temp. 107000 miles on 08 6.4 that has had two coolant changes and recently an alkaline flush. 195 thermostat is open. Considering an acid flush to see if can clean oil cooler. Is oil cooler plugged?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

the oil should run a little hotter than the exhaust but not this much

so I'd agree there's probably a fault with the oil cooler

you can try a oil flush treatment but to honest I've never found these very effective with clearing oil coolers and as they're not that expensive I'd suggest replacing the entire cooler / modine unit with new

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you