Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have a 1993 ford thunderbird 3.8l idles at 1500rpm and

Customer Question

have a 1993 ford thunderbird 3.8l idles at 1500rpm and cherry red exhaust manifolds any sujestions found a leaking egr valve want to block it and test run before purchasing new one
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fuel pressure regulator is ok, exhaust system is ok let me know what is the fix for this problemCustomer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

to get cherry red exhausts at idle then I'd say its likely the ignition timing is very retarded?

so I'd start by checking the distributor is in the correct position and ideally set it up with a timing light

then set the idle speed with the throttle position stop

a leaking EGR will tend to cause the idle speed to drop so try blocking it off to set the idle and see how it runs before replacing the EGR valve

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you