A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1997 Ford Aerostar, 3.0L. The oil pressure analog gauge on

Customer Question

1997 Ford Aerostar, 3.0L. The oil pressure analog gauge on my Aerostar mysteriously jumps, in one second, from the "O" to the "L" on the NORMAL scale after a few minutes of engine run. Oil and filter and sensor are new. Old sensor responded the same. Did notice when I changed the sensor that when it was at the "O" and I disconnected the wire it dropped to nothing, however, when at "L" sometimes it does and sometimes it has some lag time. After a few disconnects and reconnects it stayed on "M" for couple of minutes, then back to "L." Turning the motor off and on repeats the "gauge" cycle from "O" to "L."
Is this a resistance issue rather than an oil pressure issue? Any ideas on a fix?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your problem may be with the instrument cluster. Disconnect the oil pressure sender and ground the wire to a good clean ground with the key on and see if the gauge moves the same as with the sender connected. If it does, the gauge in the instrument cluster is the problem. If not, the problem is the engine ground wire.