A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2004 Ford E450 AirBag lite on. Flashes 21 code. My service

Customer Question

2004 Ford E450 AirBag lite on. Flashes 21 code. My service manual correlates that to DTCs: B1925 or B1935 or B1938. I performed the Ford pinpoint tests as best I could, where required I simulated the "Ford Restaint Diagnostic Tools" w/ electical loads etc. Only thing left is to replace the Restaint Control Unit.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Tried to create another paragraph, but that created a SEND command. I'm thinking may just have a stored failure that no longer exists. Are there any airbag code clearing tools for my vehicle (hopefully under $200)?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.

There are actually 4 separate DTCs for LFC (Light Flashout Code) 21.

B1938, B1935, B1933 and B1925.

They lead to 4 different pin point test but all refer to the passenger air bag circuits. It would be best to actually have the Air Bag Module (RCM) tested for the DTCs to isolate the proper pin point test to stop replacing good parts.

Get the codes and post them on this page. Some auto parts stores can test the RCM for codes for you for free.

See the chart below.

Below.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I is not my understanding that any auto part chains will test for my air bag codes?

The ones I have been to will. Give them a call and ask first.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Which chain are you talking about?

Down here I have Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Autozone and O'reillys.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah, we have those; I'll give a try. Most people online claim I need a the Ford propietary SRS scaner, and the chains only read the engine codes Anyway my original question was how to CLEAR a stored code, assuming that the failure no longer exists? Is your answer the same as reading current fail codes?

Y can try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. But if the problem is still present, the air bag light will remain on. To erase the codes, you will need a scan tool or code reader to do it. Independent shops can do it also. You do not need a Ford scan tool to do it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None of the chain auto part stores you mentioned rent, loan or check for you, airbag fault codes.
The most reputable (per Yelp.com) body shop near me advised I'd very likely save myself alot of headaches by taking it to Ford Service; and gave me a name of individual that solves his airbag issues. Wish I would have called him earlier.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did not follow thru going to Ford Service as I previously stated. Decided I would search the web for one more hour, when I saw this site which solved my originally stated problem: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-reset-an-airbag-light#b
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add; No charge!